- Written by Robyn Holder Robyn Holder
- Published: 08 July 2019 08 July 2019
Do you have days where you just DON’T want to hit the gym, or the streets, or get a work-out in? I do! Especially in this warmer weather. Especially when I have a lot of work to do. Sometimes I’d much rather stay in my nice cool office, and keep sitting at my computer. Yikes! Two less than healthy habits!
If there are things that work against you as you think about getting in a work out, think again!
Recent studies have shown the following:
- Working out 3 times per week can reverse the age-related brain shrinkage that makes you forget where you put your keys or why you entered a room.
- A moderate work-out 5 times per week just might lower your odds of catching a cold – by about 40 percent, according to researchers at Appalachian State University. Nothing to sneeze at!
- A study done with mice showed exercise actually helped cells clean themselves up. This means those who exercise might be less like to get diabetes or cancers.
Easier said than done? Try these simple tips:
- Walk ½ hour or more every day, at moderate intensity, at least five days a week. It won’t make you thin, but it will protect your heart, brain, lungs and bones. And, walking can be done anywhere. When it’s hot and humid, think about a nice evening walk when the sun goes down.
- Lift weights. It preserves muscle, keeps your bones strong, reduces the risk of osteoporosis, keeps your body lean, and boosts your metabolism. Keep a set of weights in your home or office to keep you motivated.
Lace up those sneakers and get moving! It’s a great way to beat the heat, make you feel better, and keep your body in tip top summer shape!
To Your Vitality!