- Written by Robyn Holder Robyn Holder
- Published: 10 January 2021 10 January 2021
There’s a lot of advice about supplements that ward off viruses and help us stay healthy! While I’m a big fan of supplementation in many circumstances, I still prefer that we EAT healthful food to give us the nutrients we need.
One big vitamin that really helps our immune system keep us healthy and germ-free, along with a lot of other good things, is Vitamin C. Check some of these foods you may not have considered loaded with Vitamin C.
- Of course, we always think of oranges, but clementines are a delicious choice! I often eat two of them because they are so tiny and easy to peel.
- Bell Peppers. This delicious vegetable is loaded with Vitamin C – more than that found in oranges! Eat them raw, or sauté them with onions, garlic, and some spinach to top chicken, beef or baked potatoes.
- Broccoli. Another reason to love this cruciferous and super star veggie. It’s delicious raw, steamed or roasted.
- Cantaloupe. Eat this yummy globe right from the rind, or cut it up and add to salads (or the above pepper mix!), or puree and freeze it for smoothies.
- Kale. Don’t stop reading here….! Kale is delicious tossed in olive oil and sea salt and roasted into chips, or added to a smoothie. My husband advises checking your teeth before your first in-person meeting, however. HaHa!
- Kiwi fruit. Usually found in a fruit salad, kiwi can be pureed to become part of a cold, creamy soup, or added to any salads.
- Strawberries. Obviously, added to anything, or eaten as is! My daughter loves strawberries dipped in melted dark chocolate – adding an extra boost of antioxidants.
- Cherry tomatoes. Add to salads, or skewer these delicious morsels with mozzarella balls, basil leaves, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a nice caprese mini salad!
Vitamin C helps your body in many ways, like:
- Providing strong healthy joints and soft tissues.
- Creating healthier skin – a good barrier to germs! It helps collagen production and is a powerful antioxidant.
- Keeping your heart healthy, working to keep blood vessels strong, cholesterol levels healthy and preventing heart disease.
- Vitamin SEE helps protect the eyes! It keeps the eyes’ blood vessels strong and protects against UV damage. Vitamin C has been shown to lower the risk of developing cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, as well as with visual acuity.
So, eat up these delicious fruits and vegetables. If you are looking for additional supplements, give us a call. We carry excellent products that you will love!
To Your Vitality!