This delicious recipe for baked beans comes from my sister-in-law, Carol Holder. Carol is a phenomenal cook, and shared this recipe with me over 30 years ago! That’s how I knew she liked me 😊.
As the weather gets warmer and we’re outside more, maybe having picnics or potlucks, try this scrumptious version of beans. I’m not a huge baked bean lover, but this one grabs me every time!
Old Settler’s Beans
- 8 slices of bacon (about half a pound)
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 14 oz. can of each: kidney beans, butter beans, pork and beans or another type of your favorite (fresh beans can be used, if cooked before using in recipe)
- ½ c. brown sugar (or use a flavored Stevia product)
- ½ c. white sugar (or Full Circle’s Fiber Sweetener)
- ¼ c. ketchup
- ½ t. mustard (dried, preferably)
- 2 T. molasses or honey (local, preferably)
Brown the bacon, ground beef and diced onion. In a bowl, mix with the rest of the ingredients. Put into a buttered casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for one hour at 350 degrees.
This recipe could be made in a crockpot by browning the first three ingredients first, and then adding everything to the crock pot to cook for 4-6 hours.
Enjoy! To Your Vitality