I really enjoy Ellen DeGeneres. She is funny, but she doesn’t pick on people or tear them down. Rather, she is kind. She rarely attacks people and I like this!
Tuesday officially ends Mardi Gras, and Ellen was quoted as saying this on the festival: Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs, show people your brains. And if they like that, well, you’ll have more beads than you know what to do with.”
Even if you are a male, you get the gist of what Ellen is saying…..
So, show your brain! Use your brain! And, to keep your brain functioning at its best, try some of these things:
- Keep learning. Take a class, learn a new language, go to cooking school! Continued learning helps your brain focus more sharply and process information optimally.
- Use your limbs. That is, your non-dominant limbs. Brush your teeth with your other hand. Use your other hand to grab things. Cross your hands and feet with the other hand or arm on top. Studies show using your non-dominant side to tackle a task can challenge your brain to act in new ways.
- Take a dance class. Exercise is ALWAYS a good thing, but a good regular aerobic workout can increase the size of the hippocampus – the part of the brain that helps you learn and remember things – by reducing cortisol – our stress hormone. This is why you often feel good after a good heart pumping, breathless activity.
- Color! There is a reason adult coloring books are some of the top sellers in book stores. Coloring is a simple activity that eases stress as well as promotes a type of meditation, which is relaxing. Parade magazine offers sample coloring pages you can download here.
- Eat brain foods! Avocados, fish, blueberries, spinach, eggs, and the spice turmeric are super brain boosting foods.
If you’d like to learn more about boosting your brain, give us a call! And celebrate Mardi Gras responsibly J.
To Your Vitality!