Happy New You! Are you weary of hearing this regarding your health? It’s a common theme, as many people turn to the new year to start better health habits. This is good, except, I prefer clients start better health ANY time of year. However, a normal benchmark seems to be January 1 of each year.
Better health usually involves healthier food choices, increasing your movement, trying to achieve better sleep, reducing stress, and can involve detoxification and elimination of certain foods. While all of this is good, it can be overwhelming.
If you do one thing for yourself this year, an easy way to resolve to do something healthy is to simply drink more water! Yes, you read this correctly, drink more water. Cool, clean water. Our bodies are 60-70% water!
- Water carries nutrients through your body
- Water helps with digestion and fat elimination and rids our bodies of toxins and wastes
- Water lubricates your joints
- Water keeps you hydrated. We discount how badly dehydration can affect us. 75% of us are chronically dehydrated.
- Water is the #1 cause of daytime fatigue. The next time you are sleepy in the afternoon, drink an 8 oz. glass of water and see if you don’t feel better!
- Drinking water can reduce your risks of certain cancers, like colon, bladder and even breast. Studies have shown this.
How much water is enough? The rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day. So, a 150-pound person needs 75 ounces of water.
How do you get all this water in? Think about drinking an 8 oz glass of water at these times throughout your day, and it will be simple:
- Upon arising
- Before breakfast
- Mid-morning twice
- Before lunch
- Mid-afternoon twice
- Before dinner
- Evening (but not too close to bedtime).
This is 72 ounces of water. If you exercise, or it’s a hot day, you may need more. You can drink more than 8 oz. at a time, too, if you desire. I promise you this can become a habit, and you’ll begin to feel better, look better, and you may drop a few pounds.
Give it a try! To Your Vitality!